|Prom Information 2015|
This message was originally emailed to all senior parents on April 30, 2015.
Dear Senior Parents,
As the academic year draws to a close, there are many upcoming special events that mark the end of school. For many, the senior prom is one of the rights of passage into young adulthood. This year’s prom will take place Friday, May 22, from 8:00 pm until 12:00 am at the Mayflower Hotel in downtown Washington, DC. An after-prom party at Pinstripes in Georgetown will follow from 12:30-2:30 am. Tickets to the prom will be on sale at Cadet Corner from May 11-22 at a cost of $75 per ticket or $150 per couple.Sign-ups for the post-prom party will also take place at the Cadet Corner.
Valet parking for the Mayflower is $25. There is a third party contracted for the valet parking, and hence there can be NO discount. Optional 24-hour self-parking on De Sales Street is available for approximately $11, but prices are subject to change. The Farragut North and Farragut West Metro stations are located within one block of the hotel. All valet drop-offs (via personal cars or limos) must take place at the front entrance of the hotel.
In order to ensure a memorable, happy and safe time for all who attend, I ask for your attention to the following policies and procedures:
- St. John’s school policy forbids student use of drugs or alcohol during school or at any school-related event. Students who violate this policy subject themselves to disciplinary action as described in the student/parent handbook. For seniors, this may mean that they are not able to participate in graduation exercises and even dismissal. Please know that a Breathalyzer test will be administered at the prom and after-prom to any student suspected of drug or alcohol use. Parents will be contacted to take their child home if the test is positive.
- Appropriate dress for formal occasions is a must. Gentlemen: a tuxedo or suit with a tie, dress shoes and socks. Hats and canes are permitted as long as they are appropriate and tasteful. Suit coats should be worn as long as possible, and shirts should never be taken off. Ladies: formal dresses that are tasteful and not overly revealing.
- Students must arrive by 9:00 pm to be allowed into the prom. Students who leave the prom early will not be permitted to return or to attend the after-prom. In addition, students must arrive to the post-prom party by 12:30 am and must stay until 2:30 am. The Mothers’ Club has put a lot of time and effort into making the after-prom a fun and safe event.
- St. John’s does not allow students to rent rooms at the Mayflower Hotel, nor does it condone any type of party where alcohol is served to minors.
- If your child is bringing a guest who is a non-St. John’s student, that guest must be registered when the prom ticket is purchased. St. John’s students are responsible for the behavior of their guests and are subject to disciplinary sanctions if their guests violate school policy. St. John’s reserves the right to reject a guest.
The school will provide free bus transportation from the Mayflower Hotel to Pinstripes and from Pinstripes to St. John’s; the bus will depart from Pinstripes at 2:30 am and return to the back parking lot of the school. If your child intends to use this bus service at NO CHARGE, please have them fill out the appropriate form when they purchase their prom ticket(s). If your child plans to drive to the after prom, there is a parking garage available right next to Pinstripes. The cost of parking will be paid compliments of the Mothers’ Club. Students are NOT encouraged to park on the street.
We believe that by working together we can make this a memorable evening for your child. Your child’s safety and well-being are always our first concern.
Additional questions about the prom should be directed to Mrs. Courtney Bell and Ms. Deirdre Garahan, student government moderators, or Mr. Ike Wilkins, assistant principal for student affairs.
Bro. Michael Andrejko, FSC
|Order Your SJC Class of 2015 Graduation Video|
Video Express Productions is producing this year's yearbook/graduation video, which will include:
DVDs will be mailed directly to each student by July 5, 2015. To order your video, fill out the order form and fax or mail it to Video Express Productions. The cost is $45.
- More than 500 photos with music from activities throughout the year.
- Interviews/comments with the Class of 2015.
- A highlight music video of the graduation day and year.
- Full coverage of the graduating class on June 5.
- Three-camera coverage to get close-ups of each student.
Fax your form to 301-598-6211 or mail it to the address below. If you have questions, call Julie at 301-598-6096.
Video Express Productions
2B Normandy Square Court
Silver Spring, MD 20906
|Driver's Ed Classes at St. John's: June 1-12|
From June 1-12, I Drive Smart will offer a two-week driver's ed class to St. John's students on campus from 9 am to 12:15 pm.
To register, please go to www.idrivesmart.com and, after selecting your licensing state "Location," go to "Schedules" on the orange bar at the top of the page and click "New Driver Training" on the dropdown. You may then use the search box to find the St. John's College class. Click "Attend Class" to begin your registration. The course runs for two weeks.
|Inclement Weather Policy|
St. John’s College High School follows the inclement weather/emergency policies of Montgomery County. When Montgomery County closes school, we are closed. When the county delays opening either one or two hours, classes will start at St. John’s at 10:05 am regardless. If Montgomery County closes their schools early, St. John’s will make an independent decision as when it is safe to release students. If the county is closed during weather/emergency, St. John’s will announce their own plans. Look for St. John’s College High School, Washington, DC and follow those directions. Parents should follow WTOP radio (103.5 FM) for up-to-the-minute details, which may also be found on the St. John's website. Buses will operate during this time on an amended schedule. Please see the late start bus schedule
|Shop on Amazon and Earn Money for St. John's!|
You can help the Mothers' Club support the continued excellence of St. John's! Simply visit Amazon.com using the banner link located on the Mothers' Club website, and St. John's will receive a percentage from every sale. No need to enter any codes at checkout - just make sure to visit Amazon using the Mothers' Club banner link. All items placed in your cart must be purchased within 24 hours to qualify.
|JROTC AFI 2015|
On May 13, St. John’s held its annual JROTC Awards Ceremony and Pass In Review.
|A Cultural Exchange|
On April 27, St. John’s welcomed Mashiro Sato '60, director of the Meiji Jingu Intercultural Research Institute in Tokyo, back to campus.
|SJC Leads JROTC Anniversary Run|
On April 25, students from St. John's JROTC program led the 2015 JROTC 5K Anniversary Run at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall.
On April 23, Alezandra Russell ’99 spoke to St. John’s students about human trafficking and how to become a force for change in the world.
|An Advocate for Justice|
On April 22, social justice advocate and Death Row survivor Shujaa Graham spoke to the SJC community about the death penalty and the criminal justice system.
|Celebrating the Honeybee|
On April 20, the Eco Club welcomed Nathalie Steinhauer of the Bee Informed Partnership to speak about the residents of the SJC beehive.
|Cadet Promotions 2015-2016|
On March 31, St. John's JROTC program announced the names and ranks of next year's regiment leaders, including the next Cadet Colonel: Genevieve Pennanen '16.
|Cadet Earns Prestigious Scholarship|
On March 18, George Washington University’s president visited campus to surprise Elissa Hipolito-Magsalin ’15 with a full scholarship to GWU.
|Signing Day: Rugby|
On March 16, Anthony Beins '15 committed to play college rugby for Wheeling Jesuit University next year.
Read more SJC news stories
Today is Exam day for periods 5 and 6 on an "A" day. Period 5 exam begins at 8:20 a.m. and ends at 10 a.m. Period 6 exam will begin at 10:15 a.m. and end at 11:55 a.m. Students are to report only to the periods where they have an exam. Buses will be leaving at noon.
St. John's Admissions Video